[Popcon-developers] encrypted popcon submissions

Jakub Wilk jwilk at debian.org
Fri May 10 23:01:00 UTC 2013

* Peter Palfrader <weasel at debian.org>, 2013-05-10, 22:44:
>On Fri, 10 May 2013, Bill Allombert wrote:
>
>>I am considering activating encryption of popularity-contest
>>submissions using public key cryptography to protect popcon submission
>>while in transit.

I think encrypting popcon submissions in an excellent idea. Thanks for
working on this. :)

>Do you think the benefits outweight the drawback that the admin no
>longer can be certain we don't send anything we shouldn't?

Your popcon submission is stored in /var/log/popularity-contest,
unencrypted. If you don't believe it's the only data that is sent to the
popcon server, you can read the fine source (it's <400 lines of code). I
don't suppose any of these is going to change.

What other kind of "certainty" did you have in mind?

--
Jakub Wilk