[Popcon-developers] encrypted popcon submissions

Bill Allombert Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Sat May 11 09:51:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 09:53:25PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Bill Allombert writes ("encrypted popcon submissions"):
> > The drawback is the computing cost on the server. Currently we are
> > processing about 25000 report each days, which would require about 2
> > hours of 'real' CPU time to decrypt, which is too much for
> > popov.debian.org. On the other hand this is easily parallelisable.
>
> Is that using RSA ?  If so then perhaps EC El Gamal would perform
> better, if it's available in the relevant versions of gnupg.

My understanding is that the released version of gpg does not yet
include support for EC El Gamal.

But in any case, RSA/El Gamal are only used to encrypt the AES key used
to encrypt the file. the subsequent AES decryption should take the majority of
the running time.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>