[Python-apps-team] Phatch (Re: Spe's Debian packaging feedback)

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 7 00:51:02 UTC 2007

Stani's Python Editor wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz schreef:
>>> I've started it and uploaded to the team repository.
>>>
>>> Everybody should free to help out. I've put the team as the
>>> maintainer, so if
>>> you want to improve it just do it.
>
> Emilio, I am curious how you constructed the rules file as it is quite
> different from mine. I just want to learn.

It's basically the same, except that I've switched to python-support (personal
decision), to dpatch instead of patchsys, and have removed RCS stuff, because of
this:

"The DEB_AUTO_CLEANUP_RCS feature has been removed for no good reason since
version 0.4.39. Feel free to bugreport if you want it resurrected."

(from http://perso.duckcorp.org/duck/cdbs-doc/cdbs-doc.xhtml).
Anyway I don't think we need it...

And finally I'm removing phatch.py because we have /usr/bin/phatch which does
the same.

> I have some additional corrections (Probably because I had this wrong in
> my debian files as well.):
> - in the control file: the homepage of phatch should be
> http://photobatch.stani.be
>
> - in the copyright file: also homepage should be adjusted

Fixed in both files

> and it is
> better to refer to `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3` (as GPL still
> might be at version 2).

GPL is a symlink to GPL-3 now. And since the GPL-3 license says

"""
    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.
"""

I think it's better to link against GPL and not GPL-3.

> - 01_setup.dpatch should now be removed as I fixed it upstream.

Sure.

> I was wondering who or what will be notified by the watch file.

It will be shown in
http://python-apps.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/qareport.cgi
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=python-apps-team@lists.alioth.debian.org

>> - made the installed .deb working (mainly I'm installing the packages
>> modules in the global module directory, I think they're useful in
>> general, at least some of them.
>
>> - added a minimal manpage (thanks to help2man...)
> I would like to distribute the manpage upstream to make it available for
> other linux distributions. I would put in the trunk/linux folder, where
> also phatch.desktop is located. If this is ok, probably the manpages
> file should reflect this change.

Bernd wrote it, and he's already answered that :)

Cheers,
Emilio