[Python-apps-team] mercurial spec broken

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 11:04:07 UTC 2009

Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen wrote:
> While this would be a nice goal to have, you should not that it won't be quite as easy to do for us as the Debian maintainers. I suspect they just hard-coded ‘/usr/share/…’ into the sources, whereas we would have to make it configurable.

i don't like doing this at all. if a user wants to use that set of
templates, let the user add a symlink to them into their local
mercurial install. I for one *never* want the vendor packaged crud and
hate when it interferes with my life. (this especially applies to
things where the vendor enabled obsolete or buggy or broken or missing
extensions.)

> If we decided to fix this, there is a related issue we might want to look into: modifying ‘sys.path’ to bind a ‘hg’ script to its libraries. The advantages of this would be two-fold:
>
> 1) Users wouldn't need to set $PYTHONPATH should they install Mercurial in a non-standard path.
> 2) Users who have more than one installation available — say, one of them part of some distribution — could invoke either one more easily.

this i really really want. i'm constantly screwed by distros. on this point.

these days, i basically do:
sudo apt-get install mercurial
hg clone path/to/hg-crew
cd hg-crew
make install-home
sudo apt-get remove mercurial mercurial-common

if i forget to remove mercurial/mercurial-common, i end up using a
really ancient version of mercurial.