[Python-apps-team] RFS: s3ql (new python application)

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Mon Jun 27 19:15:49 UTC 2011

Kilian Krause <kilian-8fiUuRrzOP0dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org> writes:
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 21:05 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "s3ql".
>>
>> * Package name    : s3ql
>>   Version         : 1.0.1-1
>>   Upstream Author : me (Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus-BTH8mxji4b0 at public.gmane.org>)
>> * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/
>> * License         : GPLv3
>>   Section         : misc
>>
>> It builds these binary packages:
>> s3ql       - Full-featured file system for online data storage
>>
>> The package appears to be lintian clean.
>>
>> ITP: 626651
>>
>> I'd be happy to join the python-apps-team and have this team maintained,
>> but so far I did not get any response on my request to join the team on
>> Alioth. Should I be doing anything else?
>>

>> At the moment, the package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
>> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/s3ql/s3ql_1.0.1-1.dsc
>>
>> I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me.
>
> Thanks for your work. Here goes my comments:
>
> 1. You use quilt as build-depends. This should not be neccessary with
> dpkg-source v3.

It seems to be. Without quilt:

dh clean --with python2,quilt
dh: unable to load addon quilt: Can't locate Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/quilt.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.12.3 /usr/local/share/perl/5.12.3 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.12 /usr/share/perl/5.12 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 23) line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 23) line 2.

> 3. debian/README.Debian doesn't need to be in *.docs. See man
> dh_installdocs:

Thanks, fixed.

> 4. Downloading
> http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/d/distribute/distribute-0.6.14.tar.gz
> Extracting in /tmp/tmpeY0G4V
>
> OUCH! buildds do not all have internet access. Your package should build
> fine without that. Moreover the contents of the pulled in tarball could
> be anything. Thus ensuring DFSG-free sources is virtually impossible
> when external sources are pulled in.
>
> 5. Your package doesn't build in pbuilder:
>
> dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of directory doc
> dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to
> s3ql-1.0.1/distribute-0.6.14.tar.gz: binary file contents changed

That's weird, it works just fine here, and it also does not download
anything but uses the existing python-setuptools. Can you tell me what
commands you used to get this?

Best,

   -Nikolaus