[Python-apps-team] RFS: s3ql (new python application)

Kilian Krause kilian at debian.org
Tue Jun 28 18:38:31 UTC 2011

Nikolaus,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 02:10:44PM -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> On 06/28/2011 01:47 AM, Kilian Krause wrote:
> > Nikolaus,

> >> Hmm. On my system:
> >>
> >> dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/s3ql/s3ql_1.0.1-1.dsc
> >> dpkg-source -x s3ql_1.0.1-1.dsc;cd s3ql-1.0.1;pdebuild
> >>
> >> runs perfectly. I do not have any extra stuff installed in my chroot
> >> except for vim.
> >>
> >> The complete build output is at
> >>
> >> http://pastebin.com/3na83pQT
> >>
> >> I don't quite know what to do here... do you have any idea? Could you
> >> post the complete output on your system as well?
> >
> > the missing build-deps on my system are:
> > dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: python-setuptools (>=
> > 0.6.14) python-apsw (>= 3.7.0) python-sphinx python-argparse
> > python-llfuse (>= 0.31) python-pycryptopp python-paramiko python-lzma
> > (>= 0.5.3)
> >
> > full build log is at:
> > http://people.debian.org/~kilian/s3ql_1.0.1-1_amd64.build
>
> Well, this seems to make this a problem with your chroot rather than
> with the S3QL package. The missing build-deps are certainly available in
> unstable, see e.g. http://packages.debian.org/sid/python-setuptools
>
> Are you sure you are running an up-to-date unstable pbuilder chroot?

as was already mentioned previously the pbuild command runs
"fakeroot debian/rules clean" in the local user's context *before* it spawns
off into the chroot. Thus the clean target in a best practice shouldn't fail
if build-deps aren't installed and only undo what really needs to be cleaned
up. This has nothing to do with the chroot itself.

That's why I mentioned the build-deps that are missing on my user's
environment (and clearly they would be installed in the pbuilder chroot once
the build begins).

If the clean target wouldn't pull in extra stuff I'd not care that "fails"
before the build actually begins. The only problem is that it downloads
stuff off the internet which is not what I'd expect from a clean target
under *any* circumstance (and not of any other target for that matter).

--
Best regards,
Kilian