[Python-apps-team] RFS: s3ql (new python application)

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Wed Jun 29 13:30:27 UTC 2011

On 06/29/2011 03:02 AM, Kilian Krause wrote:
> Nikolaus,
>
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 14:56 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/s3ql/s3ql_1.0.1-1.dsc
>
> thanks for the update.
>
> 1. Regarding the example scrips you ship I'm sort of undecided whether
> they would actually fit better in examples rather than "contrib". I
> guess yes.
>
>  usr/share/doc/s3ql/contrib/benchmark.py
>  usr/share/doc/s3ql/contrib/expire_backups.py
>  usr/share/doc/s3ql/contrib/make_dummy.py
>  usr/share/doc/s3ql/contrib/pcp.py

I don't quite agree. These are not examples of any sort, but programs
that can be useful in combination with S3QL.

>  usr/share/doc/s3ql/contrib/s3ql_backup.sh

This could arguably be called an example, yes. But I think it would be
nice to stick with the upstream layout (where all these are in contrib),
so that people can use e.g. the online documentation (which explicitly
refers to scripts in contrib).

> 2. You symlink your contrib scripts from /usr/share/doc (!)
> into /usr/bin which is not really the best solution out there. Please
> decide whether these shall either go as examples (and not symlinked
> to /usr/bin/) or whether they are official applications - in which case
> they don't belong into /usr/share/doc.

Well, I think they are certainly not examples. I would be fine to put
expire_backups and pcp into /usr/bin, but I think that benchmark.py and
make_dummy.py are relatively unlikely to be called in day to day use, so
I am hesitant to put them there.

How about putting the former into /usr/bin and symlinking them from
/usr/share/doc/s3ql/contrib (i.e., to the links the other way around)?

> Anyway, built, signed, uploaded.

Thanks!

Best,

   -Nikolaus