[Python-apps-team] [PSF-Board] may be a logo?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Sep 15 13:40:20 UTC 2011

Adam wrote:
> Paul Wise wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
>>> Do we have a logo for our Python-In-Debian effort(s) (was needing one
>>> for a recent talk but failed to deliver in time)?  What about
>>> having one?  I am not a designer and possibly lacking any taste, so
>>> please do not judge wildly.  What would be your choice among the
>>> following 6:
>>>
>>>     http://www.onerussian.com/tmp/pydebian-red_tuned/
>>>
>>> ?  choice 0 == do not like any
>
> Very nice logos. I favour #2.
>
> An alternative suggestion is #6 in the colors blue and yellow (let's
> call it #6by). It is attached (changes done with Gimp's fill tool).
>
>> I wonder if that is an allowed use of the Python trademark though.
>>
>> A similar combination of the GNOME foot and the Debian logo is
>> apparently not allowed:
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/1309267090.5023.15.camel@novo.hadess.net
>
> The Python Trademark Policy¹ states under "Derived Logos":
>
> | * Derived logos must always be sufficiently different from the Python
> |   logos to allow the community to tell the difference. For example, if you
> |   want to create a derived logo for a local Python user group, you might
> |   be able to insert an unaltered Python logo graphic into the local
> |   group's name in a way that does not cause confusion. But confusingly
> |   similar derived logos are not allowed. This includes entwining Python
> |   logos with other logos, or connecting them together in a confusing
> |   manner. Logos that simply change the colors or fonts are not allowed.
> |
> | * […]
> |
> | * Use of derived logos for user groups and conferences -- Allowed if
> |   used to refer to the Python programming language.
>
> So all logos should be fine. CCing the python-foundation so they correct
> me if needed (and FYI).

I'll forward this to the PSF trademark committee.

FWIW: Your logo suggestions mix the Debian Logo with the Python
one and change its shape. We generally prefer to have the logo
used unaltered when combined with other logos, e.g. you could
put the Python logo centered and on top of the Debian one.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 15 2011)
2011-10-04: PyCon DE 2011, Leipzig, Germany                19 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/