[Python-apps-team] getting rid of python-central

Scott Kitterman debian at kitterman.com
Sun Mar 4 07:28:45 UTC 2012

Arthur de Jong <adejong at debian.org> wrote:

>Hello lists,
>
>I've been seeing what it would take to remove python-central from my
>system and it wasn't actually that much so I sent patches to the BTS
>for
>the remaining packages and fixed a few python-apps-team and
>python-modules-team packages in SVN.
>
>The list of packages that remain to be fixed is not that long:
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=pycentral-deprecation;users=debian-python@lists.debian.org
>
>Would anyone object if I start working on updating packages in
>python-apps-team and python-modules-team SVN repositories that:
>- use python-central
>- and have the maintainer set to the respective team
>(apps: gmail-notify, modules: libapache2-mod-python, python-axiom,
>pyopengl)
>
>I would update the packages to use dh_python2 instead. I would also
>consider uploading to unstable if the other outstanding changes seem
>reasonable (assuming the package is already in unstable).

I think this would not be controversial.

>What about updating these packages to use the dh sequencer in
>debian/rules? (again assuming this is not too disruptive.

I would suggest pinging the uploaders to see how they feel about more invasive changes.

>What about doing the same for the packages that have the respective
>team
>in the Uploaders field (apps: fusion-icon, hotssh, wapiti, andvare,
>autokey, modules: bugz, rope, pyexcelerator, louie, python-pytc,
>python-authkit, ropemacs, python-pysearch, sclapp, python-socksipy,
>python-xmltv, python-reportlab, python-irclib).

These you should ask the maintainers about. I think it's OK to put the changes in SVN, but not to upload to the archive.

>I'd like to get some input on whether this is useful or considered
>meddling in someone else's packages.
>
>What about other kind of cleanup operations (e.g. while searching I
>found a couple of control files that grep-dctrl had issues with due to
>spaces being present on lines that should be blank, packages that seem
>to be in both repositories, etc)?

It's no issue to fix things so the package is in the right repository. For other things it depends if the team is maintainer or uploader.

Scott K