[Python-apps-team] Getting RabbitVCS 0.15 into Ubuntu 12.04 repos

David Seaward dseaward925 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 08:24:01 UTC 2012

Hi Jason,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Arthur de Jong <adejong at debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 11:01 +0800, Jason Heeris wrote:
>> The problem I'm expecting is this: an Ubuntu user who has the PPA
>> installed for, say, 12.04 will find that when *we* release a new
>> version and publish in our PPA, they can't simply upgrade
>> "rabbitvcs-nautilus". It won't be obvious though, and they'll probably
>> experience major problems when they try to upgrade Ubuntu's
>> "rabbitvcs-nautilus", which contains the nautilus 3 extension, to our
>> "rabbitvcs-nautilus", a package which actually contains the extension
>> for nautilus 2.
>
> Why would you want to create a nautilus 2 extension for a distribution
> that doesn't ship nautilus 2?

I'm not sure what the conventions are, but in the PPA, perhaps:

1) Create rabbitvcs-nautilus as a metapackage that requires
rabbitvcs-nautilus2 on Ubuntu 11.04 and before, and requires
rabbitvcs-nautilus3 on Ubuntu 11.10 onwards.

2) Or let rabbitvcs-nautilus always be the latest version (nautilus3,
nautilus4) matching what is required by the Ubuntu version of the PPA,
and create separate packages for old versions as new versions appear.
So someone upgrading from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, would automatically
switch from rabbitvcs-nautilus2 to rabbitvcs-nautilus3 when they
updated their PPA.

In both cases, anybody doing something unusual (like installing Mate -
a desktop shell based on Gnome 2 - on Ubuntu 12.04) can pick their
required package rather than the metapackage.

> Btw, any information on the gedit 3 support?

Arthur, I think this still an issue and is being tracked here
http://code.google.com/p/rabbitvcs/issues/detail?id=622 - unless it
has been fixed in the trunk code mentioned earlier.

David Seaward