[Python-modules-team] On team maintainership of DPMT (PAPT) packages

Scott Kitterman debian at kitterman.com
Sun Mar 9 22:17:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 17:34:05 +0100 "Sandro Tosi" <matrixhasu at gmail.com>
wrote:
>Hi all,
>I'd like to report here my feelings about the current way to maintain
>package in our repositories (DPMT and PAPT).
>
>As of now, policy[1] states that:
>
>  Thus if you bring some packages into the team, you can keep your
>  name in the Maintainer field. You will receive bug reports and
>  handle your package as usual except that other team members may help
>  from time to time and/or take over when you're too busy.
>
>  If you put the team in the Maintainer field, the package will be
>  handled completely by the team and every member is invited to work
>  on any outstanding issue.
>
>I personally feel this is not the way a team should work. If I inject
>a package in the team, I think the team should be the maintainer, and
>every people that do "important" work on the package can add
>{him,her}self to Uploaders.

Then you are free to do that.

>If you're in the Uploaders fields, the package will appear in personal
>DDPO page too, so bugs can be noticed there (I hope this should reduce
>oppositions about bugs notification).
>
>The things I'd like to change, inspired from perl group policy [2]
>(don't kill me for this ;), are the following:
>
>* everyone that inject a package in the team repository have to set
>Maintaner to the team (adding {him,her}self to Uploaders)

I have the team as Maintainer for some of my packages and myself for others
depending on how interested I am in making sure I have control over the
package (I consider the ability to make this choice a feature of the
current policy).  If the policy is changed, I will reluctantly withdraw
these packages from the team (with the possible exception of pyspf because
I didn't bring that to the team.

>* everyone interested in actively taking part to team packages
>mainteinership, must subscribe to alioth mailing list[3], where bug
>reports and other messages about packages arrive

I thought this was required already, but how would you enforce it?

>Maybe this way, would allow more people with "spot spare time" (I
>mean, some hours in random situation, not every day) to collaborate,
>attracting eventually new guys to the team.

That or give people working on team packages more time per package because there
will be fewer packages to worry about.

>I know I'm in the team since few months, and not being a DD hides me
>from different kind of problems and point-of-views, but those are my
>feelings, so please come join and discuss about this and every other
>problems currently affecting the team.

IANADD either.  I don't think that should stop you from suggesting
improvement.

If there's a problem we should work on it's making sure Python policy is
kept up to date and maintained.  There was some discussion about bring
Python policy maintenance into DPMT.  I think this should be further
considered.

Scott K