[Python-modules-team] Compile mod_python on Etch for python2.5 failing

Jeffrey G Thomas Jeffrey.Thomas at sierra-bravo.com
Tue Sep 9 16:51:04 UTC 2008

When I try to run mod_python with Apache2 and Python2.5 I get errors; according to this I should recompile mod_python to work with Python2.5 on Etch:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/setting-up-python-2.5-on-apache2-in-debian-etch-661995/

But when I do, I get errors with my compile:

debian-etch:libapache2-mod-python-3.2.10# ./configure --with-python /usr/bin/python2.5

configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
configure: WARNING: invalid host type: /usr/bin/python2.5
checking for /usr/bin/python2.5-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ar... ar
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking your blood pressure... a bit high, but we can proceed
configure: checking whether apxs is available...
checking for --with-apxs... no
checking for apxs in /usr/local/apache/sbin... no
checking for apxs in your PATH... checking for apxs... no
checking for apxs2 in your PATH... checking for apxs2... /usr/bin/apxs2
found /usr/bin/apxs2, we'll use this. Use --with-apxs to specify another.
checking Apache version... 2.2.3
checking for Apache libexec directory... /usr/lib/apache2/modules
checking for Apache include directory... -I/usr/include/apache2
checking for --with-python... yes
checking Python version... yes: invalid option -- c
Try `yes --help' for more information.
yes: invalid option -- c
Try `yes --help' for more information.

configure: error: This version of mod_python only works with Python major version 2. The one you have seems to be .

debian-etch:libapache2-mod-python-3.2.10#

Any ideas out there?

Jeffrey Thomas
  Sierra Bravo
  952.948.1211 x1046