[Python-modules-team] Xlwt/Pyexcelerator licensing information needs to be clarified

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Jan 5 00:27:44 UTC 2009

On 5/01/2009 09:08, Jan Dittberner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> during my attempt to package xlwt for Debian and coordinating this
> work with other Debian Python Module Team members, the following
> problems regarding licensing information for both pyexcelerator and
> its fork xlwt were discovered:
>
> 1. the included antlr.py is outdated and contains a hint to a file
>    LICENSE.txt that is not include in pyexcelerator and xlwt sources
>    we can solve this problem in Debian by removing antlr.py from the
>    source tarball and depending on the recent antlr.py of an existing
>    antlr package in Debian

Re "outdated": the antlr.py included in xlwt 0.7.0 is from antlr2
version 2.7.5. xlwt's compilation of Excel formulas is tested to work
with that version.

The latest (last?) release of antlr2 is 2.7.7 -- might work, might fix
bugs [none reported], ... but *not* tested.

It seems (http://www.antlr.org/wiki/display/ANTLR3/Antlr3PythonTarget)
that Python output from antlr v3 is nowhere near ready for serious use.

So what is the "recent antlr.py of an existing antlr package in Debian"
that you were proposing "depending on"?