[Python-modules-team] Xlwt/Pyexcelerator licensing information needs to be clarified

Mike O'Connor stew at debian.org
Mon Jan 5 22:23:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:00:06PM +0000, John McNamara wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Jan Dittberner <jan at dittberner.info> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:54:25PM +0000, John McNamara wrote:
> > >

> > > On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Jan Dittberner <jan at dittberner.info>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > >     Bitmap.py contains a verbatim copy of a diagram and code from the
> > Perl code
> > >     and
> > >     is subject to the terms of either the Artistic License, the GPL or
> > both. I
> > >     think only the author of Spreadsheet::WriteExcel may allow the
> > distribution
> > >     with your BSD licensed sources.
> > >
> > > As the author of Spreadsheet::WriteExcel you have my full permission to
> > > distribute any derived code in Pyexcelerator under the BSD or any other
> > > appropriate opensource license.
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> > thanks for this permission.
> >
> > Is this permission granted only to us (Debian) and pyExelerator/xwlt or to
> > everyone?
> >
> > Such a permission will be required to meet the criteria of the DFSG (Debian
> > Free Software Guidelines) [1].
> >
> > [1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
> >

> Hi Jan,
>
> Permission is granted to anyone participating in an open source initiative
> and that certainly includes Debian and the others CC on this mail.
>
> John.
> --

John,

Thanks for your responsiveness.  I'm sorry, I'm sure it sounds like we
are becoming annoying with this, however, if permission is only granted
to people participating in an open source initiative, or only granted to
debian, that isn't going to work for us in this case (Beceuase of
sections 5,6,8 of the DFSG mentioned above).  What we'd really need
would be permission for ANYONE to be able to distribute the software
under these new license terms.

Thanks again for your responsiveness, and your understanding,
stew