[Python-modules-team] [PySide] PySide in Debian - Long term support

Matti Airas matti.p.airas at nokia.com
Tue Feb 9 13:44:29 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-09 15:00, ext Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> ==== PySide's in Debian ! ====
>
> As promised many times over IRC, PySide is now in Debian :
>
> 	http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pyside.html

Great news!

>  From what I could grab on IRC with Debian people, it seems that the sparc
> failure is due to unaligned access by generatorrunner. For the other build
> failures, I don't really have an idea, so I would really welcome any help to
> solve these build failures.

OK, bug reports with sufficients logs would probably be the best
approach here. But as discussed on IRC, from our POV Boost PySide
doesn't have much of a future and we're working busily to prepare the
Shiboken version as soon as possible.

> ==== PySide flavour for Debian Stable ? ====
>
> The next Debian Stable (Squeeze) is meant to freeze in March (but probably
> won't make it¹), so any major PySide release after that date is at risk for
> Squeeze.
>
> As I heard over IRC, the boost-based PySide is not meant to last, but will
> be replaced by the shiboken-based.
>
> The main questions for me, as Debian co-maintainer for PySide (along with
> the python-modules packaging team), are:
>
>    * Do you intend to support the boost-based PySide for Squeeze's lifetime
>      (around 22 months + 1 year) ?

No, the boost-based PySide should be expected to be dropped very soon
after we have managed to create bindings for all of the Qt modules.

>    * Which flavour of PySide would you like to see in Debian Stable ?

Definitely the Shiboken one -- it is much smaller, faster, portable, and
easier to maintain.

>    * Will that flavour be supported/supportable for Squeeze's lifetime ?

Yes.

>    * When will it be in "releasable form" in your opinion ?

We're still aiming for mid-March. We intended to have both QtCore and
QtGui done by tomorrow but that goal will slip a few days forward. After
that, we'll just continue providing the other modules: QtNetwork (should
be already more or less done by Carlos Gonçalves), QtXml, QtSql, etc.
Even before that, the Shiboken PySide modules already finished should be
usable.

> If the PySide project is not willing to support the boost-based PySide, I
> will simply block its migration to Squeeze (which is in any case blocked by
> the FTBFS) and work on packaging of the shiboken-based one (probably with
> git snapshots as a start).

QtCore in the pyside-shiboken repo is already "done" according to our
criteria (all tests pass, etc.), so that should be a relatively
stationary target for the time being, together with the generator tools
and such.

> Best regards and thanks in advance for your answers !

Thanks to you for you effort!

Cheers,

ma.