[Python-modules-team] [Pyro] parallel installation of pyro 3.x and 4.x (was Pyro 4 in Debian)

Irmen irmen at razorvine.net
Tue Sep 28 19:37:09 UTC 2010

On 30-8-2010 8:16, Alexandre Fayolle wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2010 23:53:22 Irmen wrote:
>> On 12-8-2010 11:23, Alexandre Fayolle wrote:
>>> I'm forwarding the message below (with some slight editing) to the
>>> pyro-core mailing list for feedback.
>>>
>>> Irmen, in order to ease parallel installation of pyro3 and pyro4, would
>>> you mind changing the package name of pyro4 from 'pyro' to 'pyro4'? I
>>> think this would be beneficial for many users and that it would ease
>>> migration to pyro 4 (by easing the detection of which version is
>>> installed, and allowing legacy application to run side by side with new
>>> apps). Being able to have both versions installed is a must have from a
>>> system administration point of view (both installed on the same machine,
>>> and both running on the same LAN).
>>
>> Alexandre, are you referring to the debian software package name?
>> I'm not making those packages myself. That is taken care of by the package
>> maintainer which is now Carl Chenet, I believe.
>> I added him explicitly to the cc-list.
>>
>> Carl, can you comment on this? I think Alexandre has a valid concern.
>>

> Thanks for coming back on this
>
> Not only the debian software package name (this is a question I raised on the
> Debian mailing list), but specifically the Python package name. Having both
> pyro 3 and 4 using the same package name makes it difficult to have both
> installed in parallel : the programs using pyro must know how the packages are
> deployed and tweak sys.path accordingly. That's why I was suggesting that
> pyro 4.X could use a top level package called "pyro4" rather than "pyro" :
> this will enable both versions to be installed in parallel on servers hosting
> legacy applications working with pyro 3 and new (independent) applications
> using pyro4.
>
> Another concern in this regard is being able to run a pyro3 and a pyro4
> nameserver on the same LAN : is this currently supported?

Alexandre, Carl, Konrad:

The just released Pyro 4.2 contains a renamed toplevel package name: Pyro4 (used to be
Pyro). This should allow you to install Pyro 4.x next to Pyro 3.x.
Let me know how this turns out for you.

Python package index entry: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pyro4

Running a pyro3 and a pyro4 nameserver on the same LAN is perfectly fine as long as they
use different port numbers (also the broadcast server port). That automatically means
that only one of them can be 'autodiscovered' using its default port.

Regards!
Irmen.