[Python-modules-team] Minor issue with namebench package version 1.3.1+dfsg-2

Raphaël Bazaud rbazaud at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 04:33:29 BST 2019

Hi all,

I'm under the impression that there is a minor issue with the rights given
to the /usr/bin/namecheck.py binary of namebench package (currently using
version 1.3.1+dfsg-2). I noticed it when I tried to run namecheck as simple
user and completion did not work as expected. Maybe I'm wrong but I think
it should work since any user that has access to Internet should be able to
send DNS queries and that is the whole point of namebench. So the rights on
my distribution (Debian testing) are :

$ ls -l /usr/share/namebench/
total 20
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   14 avril 25  2011 config -> /etc/namebench
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 sept.  2 04:16 data
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 sept.  2 04:19 libnamebench
*-r-x------ 1 root root 2473 avril 25  2011 namebench.py*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1939 sept.  2 04:19 namebench.pyc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 sept.  2 04:16 templates

(/usr/bin/namebench being a link to /usr/share/namebench.py using a
relative path)

So I think a value like chmod 755 would be better suited. The lack of « w »
right for the owner should not cause too much trouble since updates are
performed by root however it could generate a warning.

Regards,

--
Raphaël Bazaud