[Qa-debsources] upcoming SSL cert expiry and letsencrypt

Orestis Ioannou orestis at oioannou.com
Wed Nov 25 16:07:20 UTC 2015

Heya

> On Nov 25, 2015, at 13:57, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack at debian.org> wrote:
>
> Heya,
>  the current SSL certificate used by sources.debian.net will expire on
> 2015-12-19. It was free (as in free beer), offered by GlobalSign to all
> Free Software projects, and it can be renewed for free via the same
> program.
>
> OTOH, Let's Encrypt should enter Public Beta on 2015-12-03 [1], and
> starting from that date it should be possible for everyone to get a free
> certificate from them.
>
> [1]: https://letsencrypt.org/2015/11/12/public-beta-timing.html
>
> Question for us is: do we want to renew via GlobalSign or, given the
> timing, just go for Let's Encrypt? I'm inclined to prefer Let's Encrypt,
> because I like the project a lot.
>
> The only caveat is that it's easier to keep on doing something we've
> been doing up to now (in this case: something I have been doing) than to
> switch to something new. Which brings me to the next question: is anyone
> interested in volunteering into obtaining a Let's Encrypt certificate
> for sources.debian.net, once that become possible? I'll be *very* happy
> to pass that responsibility on to someone else, as long as it's someone
> who is already a Debsources contributor. I can then work with that
> person to install the certificate on the current Debsources server.

I am really interested in lets encrypt and i am interested in doing this for Debsources, BUT, I have never installed SSL certificates and never really saw configs etc so there would be some learning curve for me. If you can bear me then i am happy to take the responsibility.. (Evidently, if anyone has more experience and wants to go for it then go for it)

Cheers, Orestis