[Qa-debsources] SPDX generation issues

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Tue Jan 12 15:01:09 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 03:23:44PM +0100, Orestis Ioannou wrote:
> Right, so taking those into account:
> http://sourcesdev.debian.net/copyright/spdx/matplotlib/1.5.0~rc2-1/

LGTM!

> I also found some ValueErrors in the logs:
> Is this ok as a response or should we give the exact error (even if its
> no much info since it doesn't really where the error is just what it is).
> http://sourcesdev.debian.net/copyright/license/coinor-cbc/2.8.12-1/

The string "ValueError" isn't particularly telling to users, unless they
are Python developers (and even so...). But the rest of the informative
content of that error messages looks fine. So you might want to just
adapt it to say something like "debian/copyright file parsing failed due
to one or more of the following causes: ".

The ideal best practice for error messages in this case is to actually
choose between the various alternatives, and tell the user with
certainty what the cause is. But for that one usually has to pay the
price of extra code to disambiguate. Which I'm not sure it's an effort
that is warranted in this case.

> I am looking into logs and trying to fix things.. Since i can't
> reproduce locally the errors i am playing on sourcesdev so if you
> happen to see weird things please don't be scared :P:P

No worries :-)

Thanks!
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o