[Quantian-general] Nodes active but do not play well together

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd@debian.org
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:52:11 -0600

Hi Mike,

And thanks for using quantian-general for this!

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 07:35:06AM -0900, Mike wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am trying to set up a two node group, booting a Quantian CD on each
> machine.
> Everyting seems to be OK, and the nodes can see each other - memory and
> processor info for both can be seen and appears to be correct, but neither
> machine will contribute work to the other, not even when a machine is maxed
> out at 100%.

Just to make sure: if you bring up openmosixview, you see both IPs marked as
'green' on the main display?

Also, are both machines of roughly comparable horsepower? I have instances
where a newer-hardware box would not pass anything to an antiquated box, but
as both a many, many bogomips apart I didn't argue :)

> I ran openmosixview & in a root terminal, and get the following error message
> whenever I try to move the speed slider (on either machine)
> The authenticity of host ' (' can't be established.
> RSA key fingerprint is (lots of hex numbers here)
> Are you shure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

Yes, that is something i haven't played with much either, so can't help.
Bets bet may be to CC the clusterknoppix lists which is what I'll do.
> If I type 'yes' the terminal prints a series of 'y's and locks up. Any other
> answer simply causes the mosix program to terminate.
> I have tried the suggestion on the Quantian Bugs page about changing
> autoconfiguration (all four steps) but no effect.

That was for a slighly older release, and for the 'they see each other's IP
but do not autodiscover openMosix' issue.  The ifconfig eth0 promisc fixes
that for me.

Oh, you wouldn't have several ethernet cards or other quirks, would you?

> I also tried downloading an older version of Quantian ( and also
> ClusterKnoppix, but no joy from either.
> Any help would be appreciated.

No silver bullet yet. Maybe someone on the clusterKnoppix list will know more.