[Quantian-general] A new cd version

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Tue Mar 6 03:36:13 CET 2007

Robert W. Hayden wrote:
> [...]
IIRC the original Quantian CD had KDE, R, Axiom, Maxima, a large IBM
visualization tool whose name I've forgotten (OpenDV??), some chemistry,
physics and astronomy packages and TexMacs -- where the space savings
mostly came from was ditching OpenOffice.org. I could personally live
without a spreadsheet *and* Octave given R, but then R is now my
language of choice.

While we're on the subject of Quantian releases, IIRC there has been no
progress off of the 2.4 kernel in ClusterKnoppix. Is it possible to
switch to Parallel Knoppix, which does seem to be using 2.6 and
releasing media rather often?

If you want to get rid of KDE for space saving, XFCE is pretty light
weight and still is a *desktop*, not just an extended window manager.
I've personally dropped back to GNUStep/WindowMaker on my desktop, but
there are even lighter ones out there. I've even managed to do real
science with "twm". :)

--
http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/