[Raspbian-devel] Haskell on arm needs help (was: hledger and hledger-web packages for raspbian)

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Fri Nov 21 21:43:09 UTC 2014

Readers on debian-arm and raspbian-devel, see
https://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2014/11/msg00024.html if you
want more context.

Joachim Breitner wrote:
> There was some support for ghci on arm, but it wasn’t working
> well and disabled it in Debian in 7.6.3:
>
>   * Disable GHCi on arm, as it is severly borken (for more information see
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7794)
>
> Maybe things have improved in 7.8 (currently in experimental). We could
> use some manpower dedicated to testing this, hunting down upstream
> patches and trying them out. Unfortunately, the current 7.8 package does
> not even build on arm:
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=ghc&suite=experimental
> and every developer trying to fix it gave up, mostly because the long
> build times make it so annoying.

You might find asachi.debian.org useful, it's an APM x-gene mustang with
8 64-bit cores. Not sure of the clockspeed but i'm fairly sure it's
high. The box has armel, armhf and arm64 chroots available for use.

> Maybe there are people out there in the Raspbian community who care for
> ghc (not just ghci!) on arm and would like to fix these problems before
> they migrate to Raspbian? You’d be welcome to join the Debian Haskell
> Group!

Well it won't be me, I don't know haskell and I don't have the
time/inclination to learn it.

Sending this to debian-arm and raspbian-devel to see if anyone there can
help out.