[Reportbug-maint] debianbts.py platform independence

Chris Lawrence lawrencc at debian.org
Mon Aug 4 19:41:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs at researchut.com> wrote:
> Okay!! Cool! The debianbts.py file that I'd copied from reportbug package
> still works for me. What I can do is follow up on how it is going to go
> forward. python-debianbts or python-btsutils, any would be fine as long as
> their libs are independent.

If python-btsutils now has a more functional interface--when I
investigated it before, some of which I think you can find in the
abandoned 4.x branch in svn, it only would handle the logic of
grabbing single reports; its support for grabbing info on a whole
package was weak and essentially required grabbing all of the reports
individually to get the metadata we need for the bug list--I'll work
towards making reportbug call btsutils directly or a thin wrapper to
replace our debianbts.py (I have no clue or interest what the -NG
people want to do with python-debianbts - it's their fork and I'm not
going to get involved with it).

In short, I think python-btsutils overall is the winning solution for
all concerned if the warts have been fixed but I haven't had time to
investigate.

Chris