[Reportbug-maint] Python API to Access Debian BTS - python-btsutils vs python-debianbts

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 22:05:23 UTC 2008

Hello guys,
it's been a long time since this thread started and I'd like to revamp
it a little.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 14:19, Bastian Venthur <venthur at debian.org> wrote:
> Gustavo R. Montesino wrote:
>> Em Ter, 2008-07-22 às 12:14 +0200, Sandro Tosi escreveu:
>
>>> What do you think about it? Does it seem reasonable to you to "merge"
>>> python-debianbts into python-btsutils (in CC its maintainers, so we
>>> can hear their thinking)?
>>
>> I've been planning to take a look at Bastian's python-debianbts to see
>> what are the diferences to python-btsutils and propose something like
>> this. Bastian has been more active than me on this so it's likely his
>> packages should be the "oficial" one.
>
> I'm perfectly ok with that, if more then just one package depend on that
> lib, it's very important to agree on a stable interface and have that
> lib probably team maintained.
>
> Currently python-debianbts fits rng's needs very well -- but I'd gladly
> discuss a stable interface and implement that if we can agree on one
> (which shouldn't be too hard). I'd be also very glad to push that
> project to alioth and include other developers.

I think that implement the full SOAP interface the BTS exposes won't
be a big trouble; maybe we can involve Don in this discussion to
spread some light on.

Apart from this, since I'm planning to "evaluate" a migration to SOAP
BTS querying, did you guys come to an agreement about the future of
the package? Will there be just one (let's call it the Official python
binding for BTS SOAP) of the two currently in the archive? That would
be interesting to have, to leverage your work and joint the effort on
it.

Just let me know, and if you need some help/support/whatever, just ask :)

Cheers,
Sandro