[Reportbug-maint] VCS metadata noise (was: [Reportbug-commits] r559 - in (4 files))

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 11:22:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:28, Ben Finney <ben+debian at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> "Sandro Tosi" <matrixhasu at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> what the hell is this?? More than 100 lines for what??
>
> Largely cruft, caused by metadata being stored in the Subversion
> repository. As you know, I'm discussing the issue with the Bazaar
> developers.

with no results, so?

>> Ben, please stop annoying us with this un-needed commit entries,
>> that waste time, space, bandwidth for the sake of nothing more that
>> let you use a VCS over a VCS for absolutely no reason.
>
> One good reason in this case: I was able to much more quickly address
> the bug (#488928) than if I had to fool around with Subversion.
>
>> Learning SVN is matter of minutes...
>
> An exaggeration, but yes, Subversion isn't difficult to *learn*. What
> it is is difficult to *use* compared to modern VCS tools.
>
> I've learned it to the point where I can use it, as evidenced by
> merging in the 'reportbuglib' branch. However, as also evidenced by
> that experience, I'm much less sure of a good result if I use
> Subversion.
>
> So, for this particular bad bug, I went with the tool that let me fix
> the bug, rather than fighting the VCS tool. My apologies to everyone
> for the resulting noise, but fixing the bug quickly and without
> distraction by poor tools seemed worth the tradeoff.

So, why don't you explain to this stupid vintage guy of me how a tool
to track code versioning can actually FIX the code? the code was on
HEAD/truck/master (choose the name that better fit for you) so, what
can actually be different from one tool to the other? better,
nonetheless...

> I do intend to increase my use of the Subversion client on the
> 'reportbug' project, in the interest of avoiding such noisy commits.
> But the need for caution against its design flaws, and double-work,

??? which one? I use it on larger projects/teams that this with NO
problem at all: what are *exactly* the problem you had with
svn+reportbug? oh yes you never used both together...

> slows me down when using Subversion compared to a modern VCS tool, so
> you'll see less work less often from me if I do.
>
> If I remember rightly, Chris is also avoiding the Subversion client
> (You're using 'git, right, Chris?).

Chris said he's using git-svn interface for it's module-binary code
separation branch

> Perhaps it's time we discuss
> moving the whole project away from Subversion and to a better modern
> VCS.

Why?? we are 4 people working on this project and we already switched
from CVS to SVN once Chris decided to expand maintainership of rb, and
I completely don't see the point in a DVCS for so few members.
Comments from others are welcome, of course.

Sandro