[Reportbug-maint] emdebian and reportbug

Sandro Tosi morph at debian.org
Wed Apr 22 22:14:55 UTC 2009

Hi Neil,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 00:00, Neil Williams <codehelp at debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:26:19 +0200
> Sandro Tosi <morph at debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> 2009/4/22 Neil Williams <codehelp at debian.org>:
>> > I lost track of this issue
>>
>> me too :(
>>
>> > did we get to a point where there was an
>> > acceptable patch for Emdebian packages to be redirected to
>> > buildd.emdebian.org ?
>>
>> Well, I thought the situation was pending on your side, so I didn't do
>> anything :)
>
> OK, well now I'm stuck. The original patch is about as far as I can get
> with zero knowledge of python and I've found a bug in the original
> patch just to complicate things.

of course, murphy is wathing :)

> It was tested with real packages but if it is used with a package that
> does not exist (or just with a typo), I get a crash (if that's what you
> call these things in python):
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "./reportbug", line 1847, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "./reportbug", line 861, in main
>    return iface.user_interface()
>  File "./reportbug", line 1237, in user_interface
>    emdebian = re.search('em[0-9]$', pkgversion, re.M | re.I)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/re.py", line 142, in search
>    return _compile(pattern, flags).search(string)
> TypeError: expected string or buffer
>
> I've attached the diff that causes the crash, based on the current
> 'debcheckout reportbug' so it should at least apply properly at your
> end.

ok, it might be due to "pkgversion" being None (i.e. absent, because
the package you're searching does not exists), but I'm just guessing.

>> I think I should only ask you to rebase your patch to the latest
>> development git repo (there was several developments since the first
>> communication) and file a bug attaching the patch. Then I'll review it
>> and hopefully merge it in, else I'll provide feedback.
>
> I can file the bug but I don't know enough to fix the problem with the
> patch - I don't really know how to fix the other part of the discussion
> which was to not embed 'buildd.emdebian.org' at the start of the
> subject line.
>
> I would normally be happy to file the bug but now that I know that the
> patch is flawed and I have no idea how to fix it, I'm uncertain.

Well, bugs tend to have a wider audience than this ml. But I think we
can sort it out somehow (if you feel uncomfortable about filing a bug,
even if you can do it and explaining the problems raised).

Cheers,