[Resolvconf-devel] lintian cleanup

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Jun 2 22:40:40 UTC 2009

Hi folks--

I just uploaded resolvconf 1.44 to the archive, which was long overdue.

There are some outstanding lintian warnings though, which maybe we
should address with 1.45 shortly:

> W: resolvconf source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.8.0.0 (current is 3.8.1)

I don't see anything in
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz to suggest that
we shouldn't bump the policy.  does anyone else see a reason we
shouldn't do that?

> W: resolvconf: script-calls-init-script-directly ./etc/resolvconf/update.d/bind:100
> W: resolvconf: script-calls-init-script-directly ./etc/resolvconf/update.d/libc:155

I assume this warning suggests that we should be calling invoke-rc.d
instead:

  http://lintian.debian.org/tags/script-calls-init-script-directly.html

  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.3.3.2

any reason this shouldn't be done?

> W: resolvconf: too-long-extended-description-in-templates resolvconf/link-tail-to-original
> W: resolvconf: possible-debconf-note-abuse config:36 resolvconf/downup-interfaces

we discussed these about a year ago, and decided to wait until
"post-lenny", i think:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/resolvconf-devel/2008-June/000336.html

(due to a bug in mailman's archiving, my own messages in that thread
appear to be lost. ah well).

Any thoughts about how we should proceed?

	--dkg