[Resolvconf-devel] What do we need to do to make the Ubuntu version?

Sander van Grieken sander at outrightsolutions.nl
Thu Dec 1 08:01:12 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 05:30 PM, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:42, Sander van Grieken
> <sander at outrightsolutions.nl>  wrote:
>> Basically include /etc/init/resolvconf.conf
>
> Like this?:
>
> #######################################
> # upstart script for resolvconf
>
> start on ( virtual-filesystems and starting udev )
>
> stop on runlevel [06]
>
> pre-start script
>      resolvconf --create-runtime-directories
>      resolvconf --enable-update
> end script
>
> pre-stop script
>    resolvconf --disable-updates
> end script
> #######################################

Yes :)

This, and the change in start condition as in [1], as you stated in your
other mail.

>> For Ubuntu upstart is not optional, so the sysv script can be entirely removed.
> OK.  In the Ubuntu patch we can just remove the dh_installinit line
> from debian/rules.
>
> Now, how do we go about creating an Ubuntu patch, building an Ubuntu
> package, submitting it to Ubuntu universe, etc.?  I have a PPA but I
> know very little about Ubuntu maintenance processes.

Well, if I look in dh_installinit manpage, it seems it also installs
upstart scripts. So dh_installinit should be called anyway. How does it
behave if both and upstart and init script are present? And does it
behave differently in debian and ubuntu?

I have discussed the process with Ubuntu maintainers, and the preference
is to do as much as possible in debian. I will test the stuff as is in
ubuntu and if we run into an unavoidable delta between ubuntu and debian
I will notify Mathieu, he will initiate a merge from the latest debian
git, and I will branch of that latest merge, and commit the changes
needed in my branch.

So for now I will work based from debian git and test against ubuntu
bleeding.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/resolvconf/+bug/448095/comments/83