[Resolvconf-devel] resolvconf 1.63ubuntu for Christmas

Thomas Hood jdthood at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:39:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 16:39, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <
mathieu-tl at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I've checked it builds, installs, upgrades, and removes/purges fine.
> There's some more testing we'll like to do for Ubuntu though, for some
> things that were identified in the DNS blueprint [1] we discussed at
> UDS-P; but we can do this at a later time.
>
> [1]
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-p-dns-resolving

I think that running a "smart" local nameserver is a good idea.

This nameserver, N, should integrate with resolvconf in the same way as
other caching nameservers do.  (1) on startup it should register its
address, 127.0.0.1, with resolvconf; on stop it should de-register this
address; (2) it should include a hook script in /etc/resolvconf/update.d
which sends the available nameserver information to N.

It sounds to me, though, as if the intent is for future NetworkManager and
N (NM+N) to have exclusive control of network interfaces and resolv.conf.
 In that case NM+N should Conflict with packages that configure interfaces
independently of NM+N.  NM+M needn't conflict with interface configurers,
however, if the latter support resolvconf and NM+N supply their own
/sbin/resolvconf.
--
Thomas