[sane-devel] Proposal: sanei_usb interface for USB scanners

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot@holly.colostate.edu
Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:52:52 -0600

Hi,

I am *very* interested in this, because I have been developing a
backend for the UMAX 1220U scanner and have been wishing
for better standardization in this area.

I am particularly interested in knowing if your interface would
be able to support for the PowerVision 8630 USB-to-parallel
bridge. UMAX1220U and the HP4200 scanners both use this
chip, and I imagine others do as well. Adrian Perez Jorge has
written a very nice and sweet set of PV8630 interface file for
his HP4200 backend. I have adapted these files for use in my
own backend.

I have two questions for you: First, do you think it would be
possible to adapt Jorge's PV8630 interface to use the sane USB
interface you propose? I've posted the code here, if you need to
look at it (it's very short):

http://umax1220u-sane.sourceforge.net/index.php?PowerVisionInterface

Second, I know the Linux kernel has some degree of support for
USB scanners, through code written by David Nelson. These are the
two files called "scanner.c" and "scanner.h". Is this what you meant
by "the Linux USB scanner module"? If so, that is good news, since
the PV8630 interface code I mentioned above uses that already.

Anyhow, I am very interested in anything that would allow me to
make my Umax backend more compatible with the rest of the world
and I applaud your efforts to standardize things!

Your comments on these questions would be very much
appreciated!

Thank you,

Marcio Luis Teixeira