[sane-devel] Problems with UC840

Damien Miller djm@mindrot.org
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:20:09 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

I have just started using Sane and was very happy to see my old UC840
is supported. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work properly :(

When I attempt to preview using xsane, it finishes the first pass ok and
then displays an error "Failed to start scanner: device busy".

Below is the output with SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=13 around the time it fails.
The "Device Busy" errors occur while the scan head is returning home
from completing the first pass and sane appears to give up rather
than waiting for the seek to complete.

I am using sane 1.0.5 (as shipped with Red Hat "Roswell" beta), with a
UMAX UC840 sw v1.6 on a ncr53c8xx SCSI controller. Setting
"option slow-speed 1" in /etc/sane.d/umax.conf makes no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Damien Miller

[umax] umax_reader_process: buffer of 29750 bytes read; 0 bytes to go
[umax] sane_read: read 4096 bytes
[umax] reader_process: freeing SCSI buffer[1]
[umax] reader_process: finished reading data
[umax] sane_read: read 4096 bytes
[umax] sane_read: read 2160 bytes
[umax] sane_read: read 0 bytes
[umax] closing pipe
[umax] sane_get_option_descriptor 9
[umax] sane_start
[umax] trying to reposition scanner ...
[umax] not waiting for finishing reposition scanner
[umax] set_window_param
[umax] window descriptor block created with 48 bytes
[umax] umax_set_window_param: command returned status Device busy
[umax] start_scan
[umax] starting scan
[umax] umax_start_scan: command returned status Device busy
[umax] trying to reposition scanner ...
[umax] umax_reposition_scanner: command returned status Device busy
[umax] trying to release scanner ...
[umax] umax_give_scanner: command returned status Device busy
[umax] sane_cancel
[umax] do_cancel
[umax] killing reader_process
[umax] reader_process killed
[umax] trying to reposition scanner ...
[umax] umax_reposition_scanner: command returned status Device busy
[umax] trying to release scanner ...
[umax] umax_give_scanner: command returned status Device busy
[umax] closing scannerdevice filedescriptor