[sane-devel] Non root users

G. L. `Griz' Inabnit griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 16:38:36 -0700

Good day,

	I recently aquired a Mustek 6000 III EP Plus parelell port scanner. As root,
it works wonderfully.

SYS INFO:

Debian UNSTABLE (SID)

libsane        1.0.4-2        API library for scanners
sane           1.0.4-1        Scanner graphical front-ends
xsane          0.70-1         a gtk based X11 frontend for SANE (Scanner A
xbase-clients  4.1.0-2        miscellaneous X clients

Athlon 850 Tbird
1.5 gig ram
Abit KT7A-Raid
Printer port set to EPP in CMOS

/etc/inetd.conf line;
	sane            stream  tcp     nowait  saned.saned     /usr/sbin/saned saned

	I fought with the setup/install of this poor flatbed for hours and hours.
Trying multiple variations of this-that-and-the-other-thing. Nothing seemed
to work. But when I did a 'scanimage  --list-devices' as root, sure enough it
was there (I had su'd to root in an xterm to do this). I could not figure out
what the complaint was with xsane other than being told that no devices
existed for use. The scanner was seen, id'd, and said to be working, yet when
I called xsane as a user (griz), I was told there where no scanning devices.
	Accidently, I started 'xsane' in the xterm that I had su'd to root in.
PRESTO!! It not only came up and ran (after the bitchbox)!! Also,it beat the
hell outta the speed it ever had in Windon't (BravoZulu people!!). So, then I
tried it as a user again. Nothing. (sigh)
	So, onto Google. Do a search for 'xsane mail list'. Bang! There is one!
Fantastic!! They have an archive. Life IS Good! Search the archive. Find two
messages, one from Richard (CC: above)
{http://www.mostang.com/pipermail/sane-devel/2001-July/000079.html}
and another from jochen
{http://www.mostang.com/pipermail/sane-devel/2001-July/000082.html} stating
that the sane.d server would cure the problem.
	Uh, it didn't. :--)  Although I'm not honestly sure I've set it up
correctly, nor do I know how to assertain if the daemon is actually running.

1.	Which device is this scanner connected to? I do not have anything in /dev
	that screams out "I'm the scanner!" and I don't see anything in
	/var/log/messages (nor dmesg | less).

2.	How can I reconfigure the machine so that regular users have access to the
	scanner, software, use w/o su'ing to root?

3.	Are there any log files for sane/xsane? I do not find anything in /var or
	anywhere else to speak of.

	At this time I'm fairly sure it's a simple permissions issue, but I've yet
to discover WHICH packages needed corrected or which device I may need access
to.

	Please keep Richard included on any responces to me, please. As we are
working on this together. And if there is any other System Info (e.g versions
of software, hardware info, log files, etc) required,  just let me know and
it will be included on the next mailing to the list.

Respectfully,

Griz

                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                                 (541) 504-1388
                                            Toll Free (866) 562-7160
                                 Via IRC at; 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts
                                           Via ICQ: UIN 138930

"Failure is not an option...it's bundled with Microsoft"
						-anonymous-

"Software is like sex. They're both better when they're free!!" - Linus
Torvalds

"As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product."