[sane-devel] Non root users

G. L. `Griz' Inabnit griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:52:01 -0700

On Friday 10 August 2001 08:25, Jochen Eisinger wrote:
> Hi!

[snip]

[/snip]

> > /etc/inetd.conf line;
> > 	sane            stream  tcp     nowait  saned.saned     /usr/sbin/saned
> > saned
>
> you have to run saned as root (although not recommende in the man-page).
> just replace saned.saned by root.root.

[snip]

[/snip]
> > 2.	How can I reconfigure the machine so that regular users have access to
> > the scanner, software, use w/o su'ing to root?
>
> run saned as root, use passwords to protect the service (see man saned,
> man sane-net & man scanimage)
>
> > 3.	Are there any log files for sane/xsane? I do not find anything in /var
> > or anywhere else to speak of.
>
> if you run saned from the command line with option -d128 you'll get debug
> output.

[snip]
[/snip]

	And magic occured!

	Richard, this is for you.

	Edit the /etc/inetd.conf and make the required changes.
	Edit the /etc/sane.d/net.conf and uncomment   localhost
	As root,   killall -HUP inetd
	As a user, run xsane

	BE AWARE THIS IS "NOT" SETUP WITH SECURITY IN MIND!! but it works,
wonderfully! :--)

                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                                 (541) 504-1388
                                            Toll Free (866) 562-7160
                                 Via IRC at; 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts
                                           Via ICQ: UIN 138930

"Failure is not an option...it's bundled with Microsoft"
						-anonymous-

"Software is like sex. They're both better when they're free!!" - Linus
Torvalds

"As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product."