[sane-devel] it is not realy easy

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 10:02:21 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 11:03:20PM +0200, Ferry wrote:
> I've just bought a umax astra 2000P wich should work with sane.

The umax_pp backend should support it.

> I've upgraded
> sane from 1.0.3 to 1.0.5  In the kernel I put a * at parallelsupport.

"*" means "include in the kernel", not "make a module". There are some
places in the Linux kernel configuration where you can set up parport
and printer things. As far as I know you need the ppdev character
device for this backend.

> In
> /etc/modules.conf I can't find lp0 or something like that so I think linux does
> not know it must use a parallel port.

modules.conf is for aliases and options of modules. You don't need it
if you don't use modules. You don't need it for testing either,
because you can just manually modprobe the modules and set options if
necessary.

> How can I tell linux it has a parallel
> ort on board?

In the kernel configuration.

By the way, please use more appropriate subjects (e.g. something with
umax_pp or paralell port in this case). Thanks.