[sane-devel] epson 1200 usb hangs

Bob Ramsey rramsey@soli.inav.net
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:18:44 -0500

I think I accidentally replied off list without thinking, so I'll try this
again.  I'm using kernel 2.4.6.  The motherboard is a via, I forget the
exact model, but it is pretty new; I just got this computer last June and
it was a treat so I went pretty highend.  It is an Athlon 850 (remember,
gigs weren't really available then) with 256 megs of ram.  The usb is on
the motherboard.  Sunday and Monday I was able to scan at 750 dpi with no
problem.  Last night I couldn't scan at 750 or 600.  When it displayed the
same symptoms in the past, I also couldn't scan at 300.  I tried this
morning at 75, and that worked.  600 didn't; it hung half way through the
final scan.

I had a similar problem after I first compiled the front and backends, but
it sort of cleared up eventually.  I never did figure out what I did that
fixed it.  All I would do is reboot and rerun modprobe scanner.  Sometimes
with the extra parameters from the epson sane faq sometimes not.  There was
no consistency as to whether or not it worked.

One thing I forgot to mention (don't you hate to hear that) is that I have
a wacom graphire tablet plugged into the first usb port.  That has been
working fine ever since mandrake 7.2 and I've never had to configure
it.  When the scanner hangs, the tablet goes out too.  I haven't tried
removing the tablet and letting the scanner be the only usb device.

What really gets me is that I scanned in about 75 vacation pictures Sunday
and Monday at either 600 or 750 dpi with no problems.  I can't scan more
than 30 under windows without a reboot because, well, duh, windows.  There
are 3 main reasons I would prefer to use xsane under Linux, and I'd like to
thank the developers for their hard work.

1)  With default settings, what I see on the screen matches the color and
exposure of the print I have in my hand.  This is not the case with the
default settings using the epson drivers under windows.  I think this is
just amazing and really impressive.

2)  The auto-increment/auto-save feature of the xsane software.  This is so
nice and easy to use.  Oddly enough, scanning is one area (once it is
working) that I think Linux has windows beat for ease of use.

3)  Linux can manage the memory better than windows.

Unfortunately I don't have any spare usb cards anywhere.  All the computers
at home and at work have usb on the motherboard.  I don't mind picking up a
card if you can reccommend one.

I've cleared out /tmp with rm -rf, so I don't think there are any loose
files messing it up.  I've got 14 gigs free on the vfat partition where the
pictures go and 500 megs free on the partition that contains /tmp.

Tonight when I get home from work I'll try unplugging the tablet.

Thanks for the help and suggestions,

Bob