[sane-devel] Cant get acer 640UT usb to work

Matts Kivik kivik at firstlinux.net
Sat Aug 4 23:44:03 BST 2001

(Resend of prev. post, but with more info)

I have an Acer scanprisa 640UT USB scanner, and a mandrake8.0 setup (sane 1.0.4).

I do this:

Boot up computer and turn on scanner

mknod /dev/usbscanner c 180 48

acerfirm /dev/usbscanner u64v119.bin

[root at localhost /root]# ./acerfirm -v /dev/usbscanner u64v119.bin
Scanner Information (from scanner)
	Vendor:        Color
	Version:       0100
	Model:         FlatbedScanner13
	Firmware date: Wed Dec  9 1998 14:37

0xf8 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Uploading new firmware...
Done!
Scanner Information (from scanner)
	Vendor:        Color
	Version:       0119
	Model:         FlatbedScanner16
	Firmware date: Fri Oct 29 1999 13:58

The LED flashes and the scanner moves the light some, sounds very normal.

Then I start xsane, which looks for devices and then informs me that it found none.(I am root)

[root at localhost /root]# xsane
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of snapscan to 2.
[snapscan] add_device: error opening device /dev/scanner: Invalid argument
[snapscan] add_device: error opening device /dev/sga: Invalid argument
[snapscan] mini_inquiry: sanei_scsi_cmd command failed: Error during device I/O
[snapscan] add_device: mini_inquiry failed with Error during device I/O.
[root at localhost /root]#

What have I missed ?

I have put /dev/usbscaner in snapscan.conf
I have tried making /dev/usb/scanner0 a symbolic link to /dev/usvscanner