[sane-devel] UMAX Astra 3400 - USB

Robert Hart enxrah@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:48:28 +0000 (GMT)

I believe that the 3400 is based on the LM9831 or LM9832 chip, so you may
want to look at the recent postings about a generic LM983x driver. The
windows driver for the 3400 comes with an ini file that list most of the
register settings that you will need to get some type of response from the
scanner.

If you don't have this I have put it at
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~enxrah/uns3400.ini

NB, the corresponding file for the 5400, (also on the site as
uns5400.ini) says that the chip is LM9831 but it upon inspection it is
actually a LM9832.

For the 5400, I have been experimenting with the HP2200c driver, however I
plan to look at the more generic driver when I have time. (The HP2200c
driver doesn't require a kernel module so it seems an easier starting
place). Basically, I took the .ini file, the LM9832 spec, and the HP2200c
driver and merged them all togethor. The scanner appears to do all the
right things, but I can't get any sort of image out of it.

One thing that I did discover is that the scanner lamp seems to be
controlled by one of the MISC IO channels (6 I believe). I don't know if
other LM983x based scanner do this. It certainly isn't obvious from the
specs.

Rob

--
         \			Robert Hart