[sane-devel] Question regarding compiler warnings in sane-backends/sanei

Stephen Torri storri@ameritech.net
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:42:33 -0500 (EST)

I keep getting warnings for when we cast a SANE_String_Const into a
SANE_String*. For example looking at sanei_wire.c in the sane-backends at
line 432:

sanei_w_string(w, (SANE_String *) & v->name);

I cannot see a reason why gcc-2.96-98 gives me a warning for this. Does
anyone have an idea why this is coming up?

Would it be wrong if we are using SANE_String for the name string in the
SANE_DEVICE or should we change the arguments of sanei_w_string to accept
a SANE_String_Const? If we are changing the value of name then it makes
sense to do the later. Vice versa.

Stephen