[sane-devel] sane installation, usb

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:34:49 +0100

Hi,

> i have searched through the archives and so on, but
> it seems like none of the tricks give there could help me.
>
> i am trying to install sane for my snapscan e20,
> but get
>
> scanimage: open of device snapscan:/dev/usbscanner failed: Invalid
> argument
>
> the scanner module seems loaded
>
> #lsmod | grep scanner
> scanner               4840    0       (unused)
> usbcore                       27236   0       [scanner usb-uhci usbkbd
usb-storage]

> and the usbscanner device seems there, too ...
>
> # file /dev/usb/usbscanner0
> /dev/usb/usbscanner0: character special (180/48)
>
> what would be my problem ?

You should verify that the scanner module recognized your scanner. To do
this, check if the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" lists your scanner
with driver=usbscanner - if not (i.e. driver=none) you have to pass the
vendor and product ID to the module. Either do

   modprobe scanner vendor=0x06bd product=0x2091

or specify

   options scanner vendor=0x06bd product=0x2091

in your /etc/modules.conf

Also check that you have write permission on /dev/usb/scanner0.

Regards,

Oliver