[sane-devel] devfsd

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:07:29 +0100

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:23:10AM +1000, Robert Stanford wrote:
> > Strangely a previous build of sane (1.0.3) that I copied from a RH7.1 RPM
> > and used in the same way works fine.
>
> I don't think anything was changed concerning this between 1.0.3 and
> 1.0.6 but the change of sanei_scsi_find_devices() for devfs. I don't
> know much about devfs so I'm mostly guessing here.

According to Sane's ChangeLog file, I added at 2001-01-07 support for
devfs (more precisely, to sanei_scsi_find_devices). I am not 100% sure,
if this means before or after the release of Sane 1.0.3, but I think
that the 1.0.3 release is somewhat older. And the functions added by
Doug Gilbert to support "out of order" /dev/sg* numbering also try to
access devfs files.

> > The symlinks permisions were (strangely enough) lr-xr-xr-x /dev/sg0
> > Yet the /dev/scsi/foo/bar/generic   nodes permissions were crw-r-----
> > Any chmod I do to the symlink affects the target, not the symlink.
>
> Doesn't the configuration file /etc/devfs/perms help? See man
> sane-scsi for details. Depending on the backend and it's configuration
> file, the scanner may be contacted via "/dev/sg?" or (if devfs is
> enabled) the devfs SCSI file. If the permissions of the latter are
> correct, it shouldn't matter, how the device is accessed.

Right, this sounds like a problem in the configuration of devfs.

Abel