[sane-devel] USB scanner troubles

Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:48:55 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 02:18:41AM -0800, G. L. `Griz' Inabnit wrote:
> 	Some of this is going to be out of the scope of this mailing list (usb info)
> but I'm stuck.
> 	I have a clients machine in my shop who wanted to get away from the M$
> Kludge so we loaded on Debian. All went lovely until I attempted to setup his
> Musteck 1200 CU USB scanner. Then I fell on my face (no! not literally)

You need SANE 1.0.6 for this scanner.

> 	At connection (plugging the scanner into the usb port) I recieve:
> hub.c:  USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 3      but
> there is NO /dev/usb/scanner, /dev/usbscanner, or anything else new. So, I
> need to ask and find out what I'm doing incorrectly, which part of the docs I
> missed, etc.

If you don't use devfs, and your distribution didn't take care of
this, you must create this file on your own. There is some docu about
that in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/scanner.txt. Try something
like:

mknod /dev/usbscanner0 c 180 48

After this, sane-find-scanner should be able to detect your scanner.

> 	I am running 2.4.16 with    /usb/hid    support for the APC UPS Backups 350
> (working well too).  I find that in   usbview    I see both devices
> (scanner/ups), but only the ups is assigned a /dev location. What am I
> missing???  :--(  And what system info do you folks need?

Can you see the scanner at /proc/bus/usb/devices ?