[sane-devel] USB scanner troubles

Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:09:45 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 06:36:54PM -0800, G. L. `Griz' Inabnit wrote:
> > Can you see the scanner at /proc/bus/usb/devices ?
>
> 	Nope. Not a thing in there. Which has me rather confused too. Do I need to
> be running   usbmgr     or something along these lines to 'activate' my USB
> devices. (yes, this is off subject and i appologize, but i'm horribly lost
> here).
> 	Okay, just installed   usbmgr    and restarted the machine. I know see at
> least the APC UPS in /proc/bus/usb/devices. And under   usbview     I am able
> to see both devices (scanner/ups).

I don't use usbmgr but I think it's only necessary if you want to load
the USB modules on demand. If you just do "modprobe scanner" and
"modprobe ohci" the scanner should be detected.

> 	Hmmmm. Interesting. Okay, now I'm THROUGHLY confused. :--)
>
> 	I ran the   mknod /dev/usbscanner0 c 180 48    to built the device in
> /dev/usb, rebooted the box, and just for giggles I started xsane. It came up,
> no complaints, AND scanned perfectly.  This is TOO confusing.  Would the
> reason for it not working before be due to the fact that the device didn't
> exist and that I'm not running   devfs   ?

Yes. Without devfs you really need the usb device files. They should
have been created by the distribution, however. If SANE works for your
scanner now, Debian isn't using SANE 1.0.5. Maybe it's a CVS snapshot
taken later then the 1.0.5 release.