[sane-devel] Sane Question--umax_pp

Timothy Johnson tbj2@swbell.net
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 00:38:39 +0000 (GMT)

I hope no one minds me posting a question here.  If it is a problem
please let me know, I starting feeling guilty about sending all of my
questions to Stef who apparently had a large part in developing the
umax_pp patch.

The problem I am having is with using sane with my umax-2000p parport
scanner as a regular user.  I am able to use it fine as root, but the
scanner appears nonexistent as a normal user.  I changed the attributes
on my parports to allow regular users the ability to read and write the
parports per Stef's recommendation, but this still did not work.  I also
manually loaded ppdev, and I am a bit confused over the issue regarding
creating a ppdev character device.  I read somewhere that the ppdev
module uses the parport, but I also seem to remember the documentation
saying that a ppdev character device may need to be created in order to
use the scanner as a regular user.  How does this fit together?

Thanks again, and thanks for all your hard work on this, I and all the
other Linux users out here very much appreciate it.

If I need to be sending my questions somewhere else please let me know.

-Tim

tbj2@swbell.net