[sane-devel] an [off-topic?] question: Acer ScanWit 2720S

Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:25:43 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 12:58:24PM +0300, Max Ushakov wrote:
> And last, a stupid question. If I buy such a scanner, make it
> work with Vuescan, and do a full dump of SCSI dialog during
> scan, or multiple scans -- will it help me or somebody to make
> at least some open source support for ScanWit?

Probably yes.

> Or this is too hard,

This depends on how complicated the protocoll is. If it's rather
high-level it won't be too complicated (e.g. set_scan_window,
set_parameters, start_scan, get_data, stop_scan). Low-level protocolls
may be more time-consuming (move_motor_one_step, set_ccd_poarameters).

> or this is ``reverse engineering'' and so unlawful, or
> what?

I'm not sure if it's reverse engineering. I would call disassembling
reverse engineering but that depends on definition. Concerning
lawfull, this depends on your country's laws :-)

Technicaly speaking it's not too hard to add a bit more debug output
to the kernel sg driver to put out all the commands and data send to a
SCSI device.