[sane-devel] Re: "Epson and SANE/XSANE problem

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:10:35 -0400

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

OK, I did some more testing and it looks like it's a Xsane problem:
With version 0.77 it works without any problems, when I cancel the
preview I get an error pop-up with the message "Error during read:
Operation was cancelled". I tried this about 10 times and got this
message every time. After I clicked on OK I was able to scan again.
With 0.78 I did my first cancel and got the same problem as you.
After that I had to power down my scanner.

Oliver, did you change anything in the canel-handling?

Karl Heinz

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:53:06PM -0400, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
> Hmmm... All I know is that it worked for me yesterday. I did
> cancel a preview after I realized that I wanted a B/W scan
> instead of a color scan, so I did a "Cancel Preview". This
> was with an Expression1680 connected via USB.=20
>=20
> It is possible that depending on the right or wrong moment of
> hitting the button the problem either shows up or not...
>=20
> I'll do some experimenting over the weekend.
>=20
> Karl Heinz
>=20
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 05:18:56PM +0200, Jean-Luc Coulon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > I've remarked this problem when using the preview:
> >=20
> > If I click on "Acquire preview" then, while running, "cancel preview"
> > I get the following message :
> >         "Backends sends more image data that it defined in parameters"
> >=20
> > Then, if I click again on "Acquire preview", I get the message :
> >         "Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument"
> >=20
> > I cannot close xsane with the [X] button, I've to kill the task from the
> > window manager. At this point, xsane is eating most of the cpu ; Only a=
=20
> > "kill -s 15" is able to kill the task.
> >=20
> > Then if I start xsane again, it stay in the state "scanning for
> > devices".=20
> >=20
> > After a while, I get:=20
> > usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
> > scanner.c: write_scanner: NAK received.
> > =20
> > To be able to have the system to work again, I've to do a power off/on
> > of
> > the scanner. Sometimes, I get:
> >         "scanner.c: close_scanner(0): invalid scn_minor"
> >=20
> > system is :
> > linux 2.2.20pre (the same occurs with 2.2.19 or 2.4.6-ac).
> > sane-backends-1.0.5
> > xsane-0.78
> > The scanner is an Epson Perfection 1640SU Photo.
> >=20
>=20
> --=20
> Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net