[sane-devel] Minolta Scan Dual II (status report)

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere@teaser.fr
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:24:20 +0100

According to Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida <moitinho@civil.ist.utl.pt>:

> Using the hpusbscsi driver by Oliver Neukum I managed to use this film
> scanner under linux using kernel 2.4.13 and vuescan 2.1. :-)
>
> It worked out of the box, the only problem being some gray cross lines ;-)
>
> For all that need imediate linux access this is probably the way to go. There
> may be some problems left in the driver (at least one around error
> handling...), which is labelled EXPERIMENTAL, but for strightforward use it
> performmed without problems.
>
> As we now have a driver to access the scanner I think that it is time to go
> for a sane backend. In the past few weeks I contacted David R., who got
> some specs from Minolta (for other scanners?) back in 1999. He confirmed that
> he is no longer working on it.
>
> I have also tryed to get in touch with Davis's contact in Minolta (no answer)
> and with SuSE (you can see why in
> http://www.suse.de/en/press/press_releases/archive00/Minolta.html),
> but other than an automated call number I could not get any answer to the
> fundamental question: is there a way to get the specs?
>
> Before other alternatives are used (and they require more time) I would like
> to ask the list:
>
> Anyone knows how/where to get the specs for the Minolta Scan Dual II?

From what I could find here, it appear that, according to the Linux USB

scanner page <http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html> that the
Minolta Scan Dual II use an Avision chipset and that the Avision backend may
be one path to follow. If that helps...

BTW, I'm interested in purchasing one in a few month, and running it on
Linux PowerPC (hence no VueScan) would be great [*].

Hub

[*] I mean that if I get one of these, I'll be able to help