[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner vs. scanimage --list-devices?

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:20:58 +0100

(cc'd to sane-devel)

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 12:56:28PM -0600, Steven Lembark wrote:
> Sorry about that, bad paste. /opt/sane.d -> /opt/sane/etc/sane.d
> and everything from /opt/sane/1.06 is soft linked up one level
> (makes it easier to change versions, just replace a few soft links).

I think something went wrong with the links somewhere or with SANE
installation because:

>    root@dizzy:bin # ./scanimage -L
>    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of dll to 255.
>    [dll] sane_init: SANE dll backend version 1.0.4 from sane-backends-1.0.6
>
>    No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
>    <snip>
>    [dll] sane_exit: exiting

This means that libsane-dll.so was found. Otherwise the [dll] messages
wouldn't be printed. So I think the libraries are found. However, dll
doesn't even try to find the backend libraries. The only reason I can
think of is that dll can't find the file dll.conf.

You can set the config directory manually:
export SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/opt/sane/1.0.6/etc/sane.d/

Then try scanimage again.

I will add an error message to dll.c if no config file is found.

> Both the frontend and backend were configured with
> "--prefix=/opt/sane/1.0.6",
> which is what the sane-config seems to be telling me. After that is was
> "make all install", which wouldn't have installed unless the make succeeded.

Usually this works. That's the way I test SANE on AIX, Irix and
Solaris where I'm not root (./configure --prefix=/tmp/sane-bin).

> Nope. Would be helpful in the linux notes if there were an example
> of manhandling any specific output of /proc/scsi/scsi into a specific
>
>    scsi VENDOR MODEL TYPE BUS CHANNEL ID LUN
>
> entry. Looking at the original notes I'd have thought that
> "VENDOR" should have been "BusLogic" or "Adaptec" rather than
> the scanner mfr.

I will see if I can change the text to make it clearer.

> I'm also not sure from the above where to put
> the card sequence (in this case my BusLogic is the 2nd scsi card):
>
>    /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target1/lun0/generic

Is this a devfs entry?

> and its /proc/scsi/scsi entry is:
>
>    Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>      Vendor: HP       Model: C2520A           Rev: 3644
>      Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> The entry:
>
>    scsi 'HP' 'C2520A' 'Processor' 0 0 1 0
>
> leaves out that this is on the 2nd controller (scsi2 in the /proc
> entry, host2 in /dev/scsi).

Usually you only need "scsi HP" or "scsi HP C2520A". The other options
are only necesarry if you have more than one identical scanner and
want to access a specific one.