[sane-devel] UMAX 2200 USB support

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:07:28 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:47:52PM -0600, Frank Zago wrote:
> * I used the libusb library to support usb. As a result, the backend
> autodetect the scanner and does not use /dev/usbscanner nor the
> configuration files. And it does not use the scanner driver. Is the use of
> the libusb a good idea?

I'm not sure. I don't have any experience with libusb. The main reason
to not use it when I started the Mustek USB backend was the absence of
any documentation. Someone also mentioned that it's not possible to
restrict access to the scanner by setting permissions. I don't konw
about portability: in prociple, this library should be able to run on
everything that supports USB but I don't know what it really supports.
sanei_usb currently is tested (and works) with Linux and FreeBSD.

My opinion is: It's just one more library that may make life harder
when compiling/linking. If you include support into the umax backend,
be sure to make it compiling and running (the SCSI part) even if the
lib isn't present.

Concerning autodetection: This is also possible with sanei_usb and
newer Linux kernels.