[sane-devel] Re: Weird vertical stripes on Microtek ScanMakerX12USL (sane-1.05)

Michael Thomson MThomson@iee.org
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 02:08:07 +0000

Hi Karsten & others

I've been playing around trying to get the SCSI data trace you need to debug
this problem, and I'm wondering if someone else can pick up where I must
stop (I'm going on holiday for a couple of weeks).

I took a look in /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/sg.c and in the comments, there
are instructions on how to start logging inside the /dev/sg driver code by:

Compiling the kernel with SCSI DEBUG set (can't remember the exact name, but
it's obvious when you see it)

echo "scsi log timeout 7" > /proc/scsi/scsi
   ^-- starts logging to /var/log/messages & console)
<run the thing you want to look at>
echo "scsi log timeout 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
   ^-- stops logging to /var/log/messages & console)

I recompiled my kernel, and turned on the logging, but modprobe complained
that it couldn't find char-major-21 (the sg driver) even though I compiled
it into my kernel, not as a module!

Arrgh. It's 02h00 so I'm going to bed. Hope one of you can see if this is a
track worth following to get Karsten the info he needs.

Cheers
Mike Thomson
--
      \\|||//