[sane-devel] Q: Performance Tip wanted, USB vs. SCSI HP 63xx Scanner

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:05:52 +0100

Juergen Sauer wrote:

> Am Freitag, 23. November 2001 00:19 schrieben Sie:
> > option enable-image-buffering
>
> Somewhat thing was what I'm looking for.
>
> It is not nessessary to have the same Device-Bandwith to the ram as with
> SCSI. Scanning time is not important. My topic is more to save the
> scanner's mechanical lifietime.
>
> But this did not helped here.
> During preview scan xsane .81+ sane 1.06 I recognize a ugly misbehavior:
> the scanner moves forward-stop-little backward-stop- etc. instead of
> moving counitnuesly until buffer full - stop transfer - go on.
>
> This behavior sounds like a cruel mechanical torture - HP's hardware
> quality is not the same as for a few years, this way the scanner will
> probably break soon.
>
> Any idea what's going on there - any idea ?

Since none of the USB experts seems to be available at present, here my
$0.02. (disclaimer: I haven't ever even connected any USB device to a
Linux box...)

Below is a copy from a recent mail to the Sane list. In another mail you
wrote that you use an SMP kernel. Assuming that the Epson scanners use
the same USB <-> SCSI "translation" as HP scanners, it might help to try
a non-SMP kernel.

Abel